Who doesn’t love fritters? These are given a modern spin by the addition of quinoa. They’re crispy on the outside and moist in the centers. A bit of cheddar cheese provides creaminess against the heat of the jalapeno. Broccoli complements the cheddar in a good way. Think broccoli cheddar soup and you’ll get the idea.
They’re a healthier riff on the typical deep fried jalapeno poppers that have become a staple item on American bar menus.
They’re lightly pan fried. It’s sort of like making pancakes. They cook that fast.
This is the most popular recipe over at my other blog Jilly Inspired. One of the most popular recipes on Pinterest too. I’ve received comments that even cowboys and kids like them. Readers have prepared them many different ways. Some have even baked them. It makes my heart happy to see people enjoying them. The joy of blogging is sharing my favorite recipes with you!
Don’t forget to check out my other vegetable fritters. Type fritter in the search on the upper right of the blog to see all of my recipes. I love making different kinds… from Thai-inspired corn fritters to leek and potato. For a riff on these broccoli fritters, try my Cauliflower Cheddar Quinoa Fritters. For more fun vegan and vegetarian recipes, type vegan or vegetarian in the search.
I hope you try them! Happy Cooking! xo ~ Jilly
Broccoli Cheddar Fritter Recipe
Makes about 10 fritters
You have two choices for the flour you use in this recipe. Use self rising flour or for a gluten-free version, Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix is my go-to choice.
You can make the quinoa the night before you’re going to serve them. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
I think kids will like them if you leave out the jalapeno. They’re loaded with protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber and calcium.
I serve them with lime wedges and sour cream. Greek yogurt pairs nicely with them too.
- 1 generous cup of cooked broccoli, slightly cooled and diced into very small pieces. Steam it or boil it until bright green and tender.
- 4-6 scallions, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1-2 limes, zest one and reserve the zest.
- 1/4 cup or a handful of finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cups of self rising flour or Pamela’s gluten free mix (see notes)
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil or neutral tasting oil for pan frying
- Serving Suggestions: lime wedges, sour cream, Greek yogurt, salsa