This is a Mediterranean inspired, sunny salad that relies on some canned ingredients and some fresh ingredients to make it work. Canned artichoke hearts add a lemony lift to the creamy white beans. The salad is tossed with a simple dressing of olive oil and lemon juice. I make it in winter with either sun dried tomatoes or jarred red peppers. In summer, fresh tomatoes are lovely. Olives are also welcome here.
This the kind of salad you can throw together very quickly with pantry staples you keep on hand. I always keep canned and dried beans in the pantry along with a few cans of artichoke hearts.
Toss it into pasta or eat it with a piece of crusty bread. It’s a substantial sidekick for fish and chicken too.
Artichoke and White Bean Salad Recipe
- 2 cups of canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 sun dried tomatoes, soaked in very hot water, drained and chopped or use the ones packed in oil. Alternatively, fresh cherry or grape tomatoes or jarred roasted red peppers will work too.
- 1 lemon, zest some of it and reserve the zest.
- A few diced scallions, maybe 3 or 4
- Generous handful of herb of your choice. I used chopped flat leaf leaf parsley. But basil, tarragon or chives would be great too.
- 1 8.5-oz can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped into small pieces.
- Best quality extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- For serving: Grated Parmesan cheese, crusty bread
Put a few tablespoons of olive oil in a medium size bowl, add a few squeezes of fresh lemon juice and some salt and pepper, stir or whisk to combine. Add all the other ingredients and toss to combine.
Serve and Enjoy!