One summer, Tom and I were lucky enough to vacation on a remote part of Martha’s Vineyard with my sister and her husband. I’d been planning this trip for most of my life, since I’ve always wanted to stay there. It seemed like a distant, dream-like place of golden-amber light and emerald-blue water. It was everything I imagined it to be.
Our little beagle-mix, Ellie, came with us to this magical island of soaring cliffs, sea and sky. We rode bikes, took long walks, visited lighthouses, collected scallop shells, sat on lonely beaches with crabs and sea birds as our only companions, soaking up the untouched beauty of this unique place.
Strawberry Cucumber Salsa Recipe
- 16 ounces of strawberries, chopped
- 1-2 medium to large cucumber peeled, seeds removed and diced or use a few mini Persian cucumbers. (see notes)
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper or one Thai bird’s eye chili pepper, diced. Leave out the seeds and veins if you want it to be less spicy.
- 1 lime, zest half of it and reserve.
- Drizzle of honey
- Handful of Thai basil, chopped or torn. Fresh garden mint or regular basil would be great too.
- Drizzle of light olive oil or other neutral tasting oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Optional: A diced ripe avocado
Place the strawberries, cucumbers and chili pepper in a bowl. Add the honey, oil, lime zest and a couple of good squeezes of lime juice. Add the salt and toss to combine. Taste. Adjust salt. Stir in the basil. Serve immediately with fish, chicken, shrimp, scallops and/or tortilla chips. Enjoy!